At the center of the Skating Ribbon sits two stunning rock-climbing structures that form Chicago’s first and only Climbing Park. These custom-designed sculptural rocks and boulders provide a unique outdoor recreational experience for beginners and experts alike, supported with instruction and supervision by park staff. The combination of the Skating Ribbon and Climbing Park achieves the project aspiration of a park for all seasons, inviting and engaging to all Chicagoans and visitors alike.
The rock climbing walls’ maximum height is 40 feet over a total surface area of 19,000 square feet. The wall is divided into a beginner and advanced wall with three different types of climbing: bouldering, lead-harnessed, and top rope. The climbing wall capacity is between 25 to 100 climbers at a given time.
The climbing Wall is managed by Lakeshore Sport & Fitness
- Phone: 312.552.3000
- Season: The Climbing Walls will open for the season on Saturday, April 16, 2016
- Hours: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm
What You Need to Know Before You Come to Climb
The Climbing Wall operates on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Climbing registration takes place on site only.
Review the list of Frequently Asked Questions before you come, to be best prepared for your climb.
Climbers under the age of 18 must have a waiver singed by a parent or guardian. Once signed, the underage climber must present a signed hard copy of the waiver to the park, along with an ID which verifies the parent or guardian’s signature. The waiver supporting information may also be emailed to climb@MaggieDaleyPark.com ahead of time.
Climbing Wall Rules & Regulations:
- Only supervised climbing is permitted
- All climbers must check-in at the fieldhouse each time they intend to participate in open climbs or classes
- Climbing equipment is available for rental in the fieldhouse. All climbers must wear appropriate climbing shoes and helmets which are available for rental
- All climbers must follow the instructions and directions from park staff
- Climbing is only permitted by those who have been certified by park staff
- Climbing during open climbs is accommodated on a first come, first serve basis. Groups of 8 or more must call in advance
- Bouldering is only permitted in designated areas.
- When descending the wall, climbers should push their feet flat against the wall to assure they descend safely
The following are not permitted on the climbing wall:
- Climbing in a manner that endangers or interferes with the enjoyment experienced by other climbers
- Carrying secondary items (such as handbags, backpacks, cameras, cell phones, portable music players, etc.) while on the wall. Lockers are provided in the fieldhouse for a fee
PLEASE CLIMB AT YOUR OWN RISK