In the heart of downtown Chicago, with the City’s skyline as a backdrop, a ribbon of ice winds through a rolling landscape providing an ice skating experience unlike any other. The skating ribbon is dramatically different from typical civic ice rinks, creating a multisensory activity that is integrated into the landscape. Skaters can experience “alpine in the city” as they lace up their ice skates and follow a path twice the length of a lap around a traditional skating rink. Complementing the ribbon are places to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and rent skates. In the summertime, the Ribbon can be used to watch climbers on the climbing wall.
Due to the warmer than average temperatures, the Skating Ribbon is closed until further notice.
Skating Ribbon is managed by Westrec Management
- Phone: 312.552.3000
- Season: Opening November 25, weather permitting through first week of March
- Admission is FREE
- $12/rental Monday – Thursday
- $14/rental Friday – Sunday and holidays
$35/Fast Pass includes skates and locker for one person. Limited quantities available at select times. Only available 36 hours in advance. No refunds.
- $90 package includes skates for two, lockers for two, tumblers with hot chocolate, and fast passes
- *only available for purchase onsite during Skating Ribbon hours
Skate sharpening is NOT available onsite
Skate sizes available are child’s size 8 through men’s size 13.
Figure and hockey skates available.
Locker space is limited and unattended bags will be removed.
Skating Ribbon to close at 5:00 pm on Thursday, February 9th.
- Monday – Thursday: noon – 8:00 pm
- Friday: noon – 10:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Sunday: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
*Skate rental stops thirty minutes before close
- Friday, November 25, 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Christmas Eve, December 24, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Christmas Day, December 25, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- New Year’s Eve, December 31, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- New Year’s Day, January 1, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
- MLK Day, January 16, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- School Improvement Day, February 3, 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
- President’s Day, February 20, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
During the holiday break 12/24 – 1/8, the Skating Ribbon will be open from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm, with the dates above as exceptions. Zamboni will go out at noon, 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm, and 7:30 pm on dates open from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm.
Monday – Thursday, 2:30 pm and 5:30 pm
Friday, 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm, and 7:30 pm
Saturday 12:00 pm, 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm, and 7:30 pm
Sunday 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm, and 5:30 pm
Zamboni times dependent upon weather conditions and take 45-60 minutes
Follow @MaggieDaleyPark on Twitter for Zamboni updates
- Accessibility: A skate assist sled is available for use by skaters with physical disabilities and their companion skater
For information on hosting a private holiday or winter skating event, click here.
To learn about FREE holiday events at the Ribbon, like our Annual Skate with Santa, click here.
Skating Ribbon Rules & Regulations:
- Skate carefully at all times
- Follow the instructions of the skate assistants
- Skate only in the direction currently being indicated by the skating assistants
- Speed of skating at all times must equal the flow of all other skaters
- Only people wearing skates are allowed on the ice surface
- No more than two (2) people may skate together
The following are not permitted on the ice:
- Skating when ice resurfacing is being completed
- Skating in a manner that endangers of interferes with the enjoyment experienced by other skaters
- Stopping or standing on the ice
- Horseplay, game playing, excessive speed, roughness or skating in a dangerous or potentially dangerous fashion
- Carrying children or secondary items on the ice; handbags, backpacks, cameras, cell phones, portable music players, etc.
- Jumps, spins, or skating backwards
- Speed skates (racer blade skates)
- Hockey playing
- Eating or drinking
- Throwing snowballs or other objects at any time
- Sitting on or leaning over the railing
SKATE AT YOUR OWN RISK