In the heart of downtown Chicago, with the City’s skyline as a backdrop, a ribbon of ice winds through a rolling landscape providing an ice skating experience unlike any other. The skating ribbon is dramatically different from typical civic ice rinks, creating a multisensory activity that is integrated into the landscape. Skaters can experience “alpine in the city” as they lace up their ice skates and follow a path twice the length of a lap around a traditional skating rink. Complementing the ribbon are places to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and rent skates. In the summertime, the Ribbon can be used to watch climbers on the climbing wall.
Skating Ribbon is managed by Westrec Management
- Phone: 312.552.3000
- Season: Late November – March
- Price: Admission is free. $12/skate rental. $2/locker rental.
Skate sharpening is NOT available onsite.
Skate sizes available are child’s size 8 through men’s size 13.
Figure and hockey skates available.
Locker space is limited and unattended bags will be removed.
- Monday – Thursday: noon – 8:00 pm
- Friday: noon – 10:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Sunday: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
*Skate rental stops thirty minutes before close
- Thanksgiving, November 24, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Friday, November 25, 10:00 am
- Christmas Eve, December 24, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Christmas Day, December 25, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- New Year’s Eve, December 31, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- New Year’s Day, January 1, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
- MLK Day, January 16, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- School Improvement Day, February 3, 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
- President’s Day, February 20, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
During the holiday break 12/24 – 1/8, the Skating Ribbon will be open from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm, with the dates above as exceptions.
Monday – Thursday, 2:30 pm and 5:30 pm
Friday, 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm, and 7:30 pm
Saturday and Sunday, 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm
Zamboni times dependent upon weather conditions and take 45-60 minutes
Follow @MaggieDaleyPark on Twitter for Zamboni updates
- Accessibility: A skate assist sled is available for use by skaters with physical disabilities and their companion skater
For information on hosting a private holiday or winter skating event, click here.
To learn about FREE holiday events at the Ribbon, like our Annual Skate with Santa, click here.
Skating Ribbon Rules & Regulations:
- Skate carefully at all times
- Follow the instructions of the skate assistants
- Skate only in the direction currently being indicated by the skating assistants
- Speed of skating at all times must equal the flow of all other skaters
- Only people wearing skates are allowed on the ice surface
- No more than two (2) people may skate together
The following are not permitted on the ice:
- Skating when ice resurfacing is being completed
- Skating in a manner that endangers of interferes with the enjoyment experienced by other skaters
- Stopping or standing on the ice
- Horseplay, game playing, excessive speed, roughness or skating in a dangerous or potentially dangerous fashion
- Carrying children or secondary items on the ice; handbags, backpacks, cameras, cell phones, portable music players, etc.
- Jumps, spins, or skating backwards
- Speed skates (racer blade skates)
- Hockey playing
- Eating or drinking
- Throwing snowballs or other objects at any time
- Sitting on or leaning over the railing
SKATE AT YOUR OWN RISK