In the heart of downtown Chicago, with the City’s skyline as a backdrop, a ribbon of ice winds through a rolling landscape providing an ice skating experience unlike any other. The skating ribbon is dramatically different from typical civic ice rinks, creating a multisensory activity that is integrated into the landscape. Skaters can experience “alpine in the city” as they lace up their ice skates and follow a path twice the length of a lap around a traditional skating rink. Complementing the ribbon are places to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and rent skates. In the summertime, the Ribbon can be used to watch climbers on the climbing wall.
Skating Ribbon is managed by Westrec Management
- Phone: 312.552.3000
- Season: Late November – March
- Price: Admission is free. $12/skate rental. $2/locker rental.
Last day of the season will be March 6th, weather permitting.
Skate sharpening is not available onsite.
Skate sizes available are child’s size 8 through men’s size 13.
Figure and hockey skates available.
Locker space is limited and unattended bags will be removed.
Monday – Thursday, 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Friday, 12:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
*Skate rental stops thirty minutes before close
- Holiday Hours:
Thanksgiving Day, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Friday, November 27, 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
Christmas Eve, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Christmas Day, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
New Year’s Eve, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
New Year’s Day, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm
Martin Luther King Day, 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
Washington’s Birthday (Feb. 15), 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Zamboni Hours:
Monday – Thursday, 2:30 pm and 5:30 pm
Friday, 2:30 pm, 5:00 pm, and 7:30 pm
Saturday and Sunday, 12:00 pm, 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm
*Zamboni times dependent upon weather conditions and take 45-60 minutes
**Follow @MaggieDaleyPark on Twitter for Zamboni updates
- Accessibility: A skate assist sled is available for use by skaters with physical disabilities and their companion skater
Skating Ribbon Rules & Regulations:
- Skate carefully at all times
- Follow the instructions of the skate assistants
- Skate only in the direction currently being indicated by the skating assistants
- Speed of skating at all times must equal the flow of all other skaters
- Only people wearing skates are allowed on the ice surface
- No more than two (2) people may skate together
The following are not permitted on the ice:
- Skating when ice resurfacing is being completed
- Skating in a manner that endangers of interferes with the enjoyment experienced by other skaters
- Stopping or standing on the ice
- Horseplay, game playing, excessive speed, roughness or skating in a dangerous or potentially dangerous fashion
- Carrying children or secondary items on the ice; handbags, backpacks, cameras, cell phones, portable music players, etc.
- Jumps, spins, or skating backwards
- Speed skates (racer blade skates)
- Hockey playing
- Eating or drinking
- Throwing snowballs or other objects at any time
- Sitting on or leaning over the railing
SKATE AT YOUR OWN RISK
The Skating Ribbon can be rented out for private events during all seasons and rooms are available for skating parties. Click here to learn more.